Pages

Lemon Trees


I have no experience growing lemons outdoors but I have grown lemons indoors in pots for several years. One Meyer lemon I have had for over 12 years. In fact when moving from Utah to Alaska I pruned it back to fit in a Priority Mail box for my sister to hold until I arrived. I did the same when moving out of Alaska three years later. I then purchased a second Meyer lemon as well as a navel orange, pink grapefruit, and key lime. Citrus trees are attractive houseplants with lovely scented flowers and delicious fruit.

My first lemon was purchased from a local nursery. My second was purchased from a big box store. My last citrus was purchased online. So, it is not that difficult to find citrus plants. As with other plants do some research and shop around for the variety you want at a good price. Check the condition of the plant if purchasing in person. If buying by mailorder/internet purchase from a reputable company.

My lemon trees were transplanted into a larger pot right away using a good quality potting soil. In the summer I move them outdoors in a full sun to partial shade spot. It is important to help your plants adjust to a change in sunlight. If your plant is in full sun indoors it may be able to handle full sun outdoors. To be safe slowly acclimate it to the amount of sunlight it will be receiving outdoors by placing it in a bit more sun each day or moving it into the amount it will be receiving for short periods each day. After about one week or so it should be adjusted and can be placed in its summer location. Reverse the process when moving it back indoors. Also, spray with horticultural oil before moving back indoors to help prevent pest problems.
Lemon recipes 

Meyer Lemon Tree


Indoor lemon, grapefruit, lime, orange, pineapple,  plus herbs including pineapple sage, bay, and lemon verbena

No comments:

Post a Comment